Fort Myers FL Personal Injury Attorney
A personal injury attorney provides legal representation to anyone who claims to have been injured either physically or psychologically due to negligence or wrongdoing by another person, a company, a government agency or other type of entity.
Personal Injury and Torts
What constitutes a personal injury / torts legal case? Personal injury has been defined in legal terms as damage to body, mind, or emotions. Lawsuits from personal injury are one of the most common legal actions in the United States. Personal injury lawsuits are filed when someone’s injury is attributed to the negligence of another person or entity. In cases where a settlement cannot be reached out of the court, a lawsuit is the only means by which a victim can resort to seek compensation.
Types of Personal Injury
Highway or Road Traffic Injuries
Highway accidents are undoubtedly one of the most common types of personal injury that occur today. A major contributor to causing accidents is the ever increasing number of drivers on the highways, which increase the chances auto accidents will occur. This, along with negligence on the part of the driver and other vehicle malfunctions, make this the most common type of personal injury cases.
Slip and Fall Injuries
This type of injury can occur virtually at any place. Such injuries typically take place in malls, retail centers, restaurants, and other public places. Such cases have many complicated aspects that are not considered by many in these situations.
Fatal Accidents and Injuries
Fatal injuries can happen anywhere and are more commonplace than they may seem. A single accident may create multiple injuries to more than one person. Examples of such cases include collapse of a public place, an automobile or a boating accident, or an injury related to sporting events, such as skydiving and bungee jumping.
Important Things to Remember
In an accident situation, watch what you say to parties at the scene, and don’t sign any paperwork from an insurance company until you’ve spoken to an attorney. An insurance company may offer a much lower settlement than you expect, or they may offer nothing at all. That’s why you need an experienced insurance attorney who will work with you to resolve the situation and get a proper settlement for your claim.
Non-Accident Injuries (Other Torts)
There are also personal injury claims for such things as defamation and interference with contractual relations. Burkett Law Office is very familiar with these types of claims and we can help you.
How a Good Insurance Personal Injury Attorney Can Help
It may be wise to look to the services of a personal injury attorney depending on the nature of your situation. There are many advantages that an experienced attorney can bring to the table to resolve your legal situation quickly and professionally.
- A personal injury attorney may be able to handle your first party insurance coverage issues such as medical payments and motorist coverage. First party coverage is the insurance payment from your own carrier that is given to you to help you recover from your personal injury or property damage situation.
- A seasoned attorney can help you weight the pros and cons of either a settlement option out of court or going to court.
- An attorney must have a good working knowledge of local and federal laws regarding a wide range of personal injury situations, as well as other information, like the statute of limitations based on the nature of an injury.
- A personal injury attorney must have the ability to work with medical and insurance professionals to ensure proper care while your legal matter is pending.
- Should the matter require that a lawsuit be filed, you will want a lawyer with experience presenting these cases before a judge.
- An attorney needs knowledge of insurance law to interpret the laws and know the coverage, limitations, and exclusions.
- The attorney should also have the ability to take on larger entities, such as insurance companies to get the results and compensation deserved for his client.
What to Do Now
If you feel you may have a personal injury claim, contact Burkett Law Office today. If you decided to pursue a claim, you can benefit from Mr. Burkett who can represent you both inside and outside of the courtroom. If you are a victim of a personal injury and need more information about personal injury lawsuits, our law office will help you make the best decision based on your situation.
Have any Questions?
Contact us today for a free initial consultation.